Christmas Dangers: Christmas Food

With Christmas, comes food. Christmas cookies, Christmas pies, eatable ornaments, candy canes. Chocolate. Did I miss anything? When you have cats, certain foods may be toxic for your little furry friend. So always keep an eye out when cooking or having a Christmas dinner with friends!

Photo by Marie Berne.

Photo by Marie Berne.


It’s  a good idea to make known to the visitors in your house not to give your cat any chocolate. Chocolate contains methylxanthines and theobromides, which are poisonous to cats and dogs, and in some cases it may even lead to death. So put those bonbons in your own mouth!

Rich, Fatty Foods

Think about gravy or grease. Things like that, that are rich and fatty can cause problems like stomach upsets to pancreatitis, which is an inflammation of the pancreas resulting in pain, vomiting and dehydration. Cats with this serious condition often need to get hospitalized.

The fat from cooked meat can cause problems with a pet’s digestive system, especially if it has been cooked with salt. This can make cats and dogs feel very sick, and cause flatulence, leading to a very smelly Christmas. – Dr Lawrie.

Photo by Emma.

Photo by Emma.


Why people would give alcohol to animals is still a mystery to me. Alcohol is dangerous and seriously poisonous to cats and other pets. And many animals are attracted to it. So clean up glasses after holiday parties. Cats are also often attracted by the sweet taste and smell of drinks (like eggnog).


Bones from fish, meat or poultry can cause problems if swallowed. Especially if bones from meat are cooked (they splinter easily). Small bones can splinter and tear through the intestinal tract. No matter how big or small, bones are a no-no.

Tobacco Products

These products can be fatal to pets if it’s ingested. Signs of poisoning develop within the first 15 to 45 minutes and the symptoms include: excitation, salivation, vomiting and diarrhea. Pets may also get seizures, collapse or even die from cardiac arrest.

The more reason to keep cigarettes, cigars, tobacco, nicotine gum and patches, ánd ashtrays away from your cats and pets. Empty the ashtrays often since cigarette butts contain about 25% of the total nicotine in a cigarette.

Uncooked Yeast Dough

Uncooked yeast dough can expand and produce gas in the digestive system. And also cause pain and possible rupture of the stomach or intestines when it’s ingested by your cat.

Grapes and Raisins

Grapes and raisins can damage the kidneys. Here in Holland we have special Christmas bread that contains raisins. It’s good to keep that out of your cat’s reach!

Macadamia Nuts

Sometimes they are also called Queensland Nuts. It can cause weakness, vomiting and depression when eaten.


Avocado can lead to breathing difficulties.

Photo by Liz West.

Photo by Liz West.


When you’re cooking, keep the nutmeg away from your cat. A lot of nutmeg can be toxic to pets. Leading to problems with their nervous system, and can even be fatal.


Use garbage bins that is cat proof. So make sure your cat can’t open it. And throw away food immediately if it’s not used or eaten any more. The garbage has all kinds of dangerous and toxic stuff in it such as plastic wraps and bags, 6-pack holders, fat trimmers, bones and pieces of ribbons or tinsel. Better keep that garbage-bin closed.

Feed your cat(s) before a party so they will not be hungry at the party and hopefully be less tempted to steal food.

Photo by Shandi-Lee Cox.

Photo by Shandi-Lee Cox.


Did I miss anything?

6 Responses to “Christmas Dangers: Christmas Food”

  1. Bongo

    I’ll make sure the cat I live with won’t eat anything bad. I’ll get to it first. But my person says I have to tell you she keeps that stuff away from me too.

  2. Tom Duhamel

    This is a good one! People with dogs are usually kick to mention to kids not to give food to the dogs when they have guests, but few people remember that the cats can also get poisoned from human food. It’s incredible just how much of what we eat could cause problem to pets. I only knew about half of what you mentioned.

    Here, raisin bread is sold all year round and not particularly associated with the holidays.

    It may be good to mention tomatoes and onions too, which are ingredients in so much of our food and are known to be toxic to cats.

    When I drink wine, I must watch my glass. Catou likes it and tend to sip from it. No idea why, I would expect the smell of alcohol to be repulsive to their sensitive nose.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Basic HTML is allowed. Your email address will not be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,544 other followers

%d bloggers like this: