Time for a little quiz! Are you a cat-whisperer and do you know a lot about their body language? Or do you know just as much about cats, as you can understand Chinese?
- While cuddling, your cat is making kneading movements with his paws, and they retract in and out. What does this mean?
A) This is a sign of affection
B) Cats used to knead when they were a kitten. It means they feel safe and secure.
C) The cat probably wants to sharpen his nails.
- You’re petting your cat, when he suddenly starts sweeping with his tail from left to right. What is he trying to tell you?
A) The same as with a dog: He shows he’s happy.
B) If he’s twitching it, he’s probably just a bit tensed, he’s probably seeing a bird in the window.
C) He’s saying that he doesn’t want to be pet anymore.
- Where do (most) cats like to be ‘tickled’.
A) Between their ears and under the chin
B) Their belly
C) Their chest and back
- Your cat is sitting by the balcony door, or by the window when he starts ‘cackling/chattering/chirping’. Why does he do that?
A) He’s cold
B) He would like to be on the balcony now.
C) He’s seeing a bird or a squirrel he would like to hunt on. Because he can’t go outside, he’s making that cackling/chirping sound.
- A cat who has his ears straight up is and his eyes wide open is…
C) Totally relaxed
- A cat has his paws tucked under his body while he’s in his basket.
A) If he’s in his basket, he’s probably feeling good.
B) Cats do when this when they feel a bit unpleasant.
C) Maybe he’s waiting until I finally move away from the computer to play with him.
- Your cat is slowly blinking at you. What is he trying to say?
A) That the light is way too bright here.
B) He’s irritated.
C) That he likes me.
1 – A) 5 points B) 10 points C) 0 points
2 – A) 0 points B) 5 points C) 10 points
3 – A) 10 points B) 0 points C) 5 points
4 – A) 0 points B) 5 points C) 10 points
5 – A) 10 points B) 5 points C) 0 points
6 – A) 0 points B) 10 points C) 5 points
7 – A) 5 points B) 0 points C) 10 point
70 – 55 Points
Congratulations! You know a lot about your cat, You’re a cat-whisperer! It doesn’t matter if your cat is a true cuddler, or he wants to be left alone. You only have to look at him, and you know exactly how he feels and what he’s trying to tell you!
50 – 25 Points
So now and then there may be a little misunderstanding between you and your cat. You can avoid that if you observe your cat (or read books) more to get to know him better. But you’re nearly there!
20 – 0 Points
You still need a lot of practice to understand the difficult language of your cat. But not to worry! They can be patient teachers who are willing to teach you everything! With a bit of patient and empathy, you two will be a good team in no time!
Quiz by: Hart voor Dieren Magazine.
How many points did you have?