Holiday Safety Tips – Part 2

Christmas, A holiday I like and dislike. I usually have to work around these days, it’s busy. But everything looks so pretty outside. All those lights, and if we’re lucky we even will have snow! I won’t have a Christmas tree this year. First, because I don’t have place for a big one. And second, because I’m lazy. I can take a small tree, and I actually do have one. Somewhere. Ohwell, let’s continue, shall we?

You can find part 1 here.

So where did we left off last time.

Angelhair (spun glass)
Can cause irritation of the eyes, skin and gastrointestinal tract.

Artifical Snow
Dry particles are inert; however, toxicity from inhalation can occur if spayed directly in the mouth.

Tinsel
Metal tinsel is rare these days, but mylar can also have a swallowing hazard. Its sharp edges can cause serious damage to the pet’s intestines. Consider a beaded garland instead,

Treats
Take it easy on the treats. Too many fatty treats like turkey skin or ham can cause serious tummy upset. An idea is to keep pets safely confined during the festivities. Chocolate, onions, grapes, and currants can cause serious harm to both dogs and cats.

Wrapping & Gifts
Ribbons, yarn and string cause intestinal obstruction and bunching of the intestine along the length of the string. These conditions need surgery and can be fatal. Ribbons around your cat’s neck may be cute, but they can also be dangerous. Adhesives and glues can be toxic and are often attractive to animals.

Edible items left under the tree can be very tempting, Make sure to remove ribbons or ties before you present gifts to your cat.

Batteries for toys or other gifts can be toxic and cause intestinal obstruction. Keep them in a safe place until they are ready to be inserted in the gift.

When unwrapping presents, make sure all ribbon and string is rounded up and safely disposed.

Drinks
Eggnog is extremely stimulating to cats’ olfactory sense. They will likely go after it and taste it if it is left on the table unattended. Alcoholic drinks can easily intoxicate cats even with only a small sip.

Caffeinated drinks contain xanthenes which can damage cats’ nervous system and urinary system. It can stimulate the heart muscles and cause them to spasm. Though caffeine is more harmful in dogs than cats, cats can still show symptoms of diarrhea, seizure and so forth.

Food
Rich, fatty foods, like gravy or grease, can cause problems ranging from stomach upsets to pancreatitis, which is an inflammation of the pancreas resulting in pain, vomiting, and dehydration. This often require hospitalization for treatment.

Bones (especially cooked) from fish, meat, or poultry can also cause problems if swallowed. Even small bones can splinter causing lacerations (tearing) throughout the intestinal tract.

Uncooked yeast dough can expand and produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and possible rupture of the stomach or intestines.
Additives To Avoid Cat Food And Supplements

The Door
Parties and visitors increase the risk of a cat slipping out through an open door; make sure all your pets are microchipped and/or wearing collars and ID tags. It’s wise to offer a ‘base camp’ for your cat that includes food, water, bed, scratching post, and litter box, in a room that’s less likely to be disturbed. No decorations in that room, and of course no candles.

Visitors
Some pets love visitors and behave very well. Others may be fearful or aggressive. Plan for how your cat will react to visitors.

A quiet room, away from the commotion, with water, food, and litter box available will help fearful cats be more comfortable.

Have a safe and happy Christmas everyone!

Recourses
vetmedicine.about.com

cats.about.com
lovemeow.com/

About these ads

7 Responses to “Holiday Safety Tips – Part 2”

  1. heretherebespiders

    Ugh, my Bengal tries to eat the tinsel, and the Siamese eats fabric bows (not the thin ribbons, oh no – the big furry ones). Until they get used to all the new things around the house, I am on constant patrol and get little sleep! I used to have a Siamese who went crazy for the needles from the tree; he threw them up but it was a big clump and was very scary! Another cat ate the long thin tinsel and it came out the other end…yes, he had a festive bum!

    Reply
    • Dianda

      Oh no. :(
      My cats nibble on the tinsel and on the ornaments. I left them unsupervised for a moment, and my small Christmas tree had fallen over.
      And needles can be pretty painful in the stomach, I think.

      Reply
  2. Bongo

    Thanks for all the safety tips. We get so busy at Christmas it’s often easy to forget what all the festivities can do to our pets.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Basic HTML is allowed. Your email address will not be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,458 other followers

%d bloggers like this: